INDEPENDENT LEARNERS

'O Allah increase me in knowledge,
amin.'


Tuesday 12 August 2008

What are we learning?

Assalamu alaykum,

so what are we learning?

A is carrying on with Calvert programme. I really love this programme. I know I have already said so. But it is so complete and to be honest is so easy to use and A really like it!

A is learning about new sounds in literacy and we have been talking about the difference between fantasy and real stories. We have learnt about Fables and how to write down a fable. Also the importance of having a morale at the end of a fable.

In Maths A is revising few Units we have done in the past in particular doubles, counting by 2, 3, 4,5,6,7,8,9. Also he is learning how to read a clock, even thou he already knew how I am just following the programme as it goes about. Also he is revising facts family.

In Science we are talking about animals of the past, imprints, fossils, dinosaurs, how scientists know how animals of the past behaved, what they ate etc. We are also studying about food as energy.

In geography, we are talking about North America, the boundaries, the capitals, compass rose.

A is showing so much interest in reading long books. Before it would have been impossible to let him read even a page.

Eg. tonight I found him reading a book from one of his collection about Roald Dahl ' James and the Giant Peach'

Mash'Allah! He reached page 22 and put one of his homemade bookmark. He said tomorrow he will finish it! Insh'Allah.

S is learning Phonics. I like him to read as soon as possible but i know it won't be so soon.

He is learning to count to 20, writing the numbers, adding, subtracting and doubles.

Also using female/male when needed in a sentence. Lots of colouring too!

I will be starting to use the Jolly Phonics with S as i did with A. I found the Jolly Phonics to be so fun to use. Years ago I bought the teacher manual and we have kept it immaculate. We just print out pages as we go along.


Our week went so quickly. We rarely stayed at home. There is nothing that can stop my boys love to discover! this summer has been rather busy. We have learnt about new parks, play areas, new sisters, new friends for my crew, lots of free activities, new study circles, and lots of running around.

I only pray my kids are learning on the way and that the activities they do, they are not just activities but that they will gain benefits from them. Amin

I pray that I am doing the right thing for them by keeping them with me, studying at home, learning in a safe environment. Amin

And now some more pics!






Wa alaykum assalam

1 comments:

Lindsey said...

HI! I am new to this blog site but i have been studying Islam and i was wanting to write a new blog and guess what happened? i clicked new blog and it took me to your page! Are you Muslim? That is so crazy! I did alot of interviews through my time in Thailand and have still been learning about Islam Religion while returning to the states of America. Could i "Interview" ask you questions about being Muslim if you are?

You can view my blog or email me at my regular email. LRachuig@hotmail.com

Would love to chat with you. :)

Lindsey